Valentine's Day Ramble



I've always had mixed feelings about this holiday. Part of me thinks it's overly commercialized (as all holidays tend to be), and part of me thinks it's ridiculously adorable (that's the consumer in me). I'm kind of a sucker for cheesy cute things, even though that isn't always the case. I'm also a sucker for romance, despite my lack of experience with such an obscure notion. However, I do know what love feels like, and it's probably one of the best feelings in the world.

I'm not talking romantic love, with chocolates and flowers and kisses and cuddles. I'm not talking lust, either. None of that 50 Shades of Bullshit. No drama, no ridiculous fantasies or expectations to fulfill. All of that is fine to an extent, but people tend to miss the point.

In my opinion, Valentines Day is about much more than just romantic love. It's more than just candy and cuddles or cute messages to loved ones via social media. There's an essence of comfort in this holiday, one that I haven't been able to place before this year.

 The thing is: I treat the people my life with the amount of care and passion that I should every single day. As a granddaughter, daughter, niece, sister, cousin and friend, I know it's important to remind everyone just how much I love them and why and how I do. I love my grandparents, parents, aunts and uncles, brothers, cousins and friends to infinity and beyond!! And I know they love me just as much.

Love is an important part of being human. It's coupled and grouped with hundreds of other feelings as well, which is what makes it so big. It grows and multiplies in the form of the things we do and the people we spend time with. Whether it's romantic and cheesy, or full and passionate, or crazy and quirky, or familial and familiar, it's important to acknowledge, accept and appreciate love.

There are things in this world that will eventually run out. Love, in its true forms, is one of the only things that never will.

You should love every day, not just today! Love yourself, love the people in your life, love all your passions and aspirations, love the world you live in, and make it yours. There is no amount of chocolate or cheesy romance movies that will fill your heart to its full capacity. Only you and your love can do that. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Domenica | a poem

Sleepy Ramblings Regarding Strange Habits of Mine

Socks | poem